Minnesota Foosball
 Mort's Monthly Results: 1-6-18
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sffoos

590 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  11:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
44 players participated across three events on Saturday to start off MN foos in 2018. Additional cameo appearances by Jessie D, Brad A, Jason C, Eric A, Gary G, and Vern M.

It was an awesome event with a great group of players from around the region; we had both developing players starting to challenge themselves in the tourney foos scene, and some of the area's foremost teams who make this event one of the most competitive in the midwest.
My only regret is I didn't try to get a new group photo for 2018.

Thanks to the many out of town players who drove an hour plus (or the locals who took that long to park) to play here. Special thanks to Josie (Iowa City) and Tim Y (Waterloo) for making their first appearance at a Mort's Monthly. We've had a great showing from IA players up here in the last year. Let's try to get some MN players down south in 2018 (Jason B's hosting a bring and singles at The Scoreboard in Milford on 1/27...details on facebook).

BYP Results: 21 teams!

1st: Dave G/John W (DD)
2nd: Jason B/Tim E
3rd: Dillon A/Stu S
4th: Ringo/Tom B
Luke B/Larry L
Krink/Deb PK
Zach S/Garrett T
Brad S/Clif H
Nate O/Chris M
Wallis/Bombo
William W III/Melissa G
Forrest T/Jeff C
Skip S/Goot
Ira K/Daniel T
Taylor K/Don A
Tim Y/Josie O
Mike E/Jared W
Dan D/Josh N
Steve M/Matt H
James R/Alec V
Tom H/Steve L

The drama of the random seeded the bracket. An intense first round match with Ringo and Tom B sent Gummy and John to the loser's, but wait, an upset win by Giantkillers, Zach and Garrett, sent Team Bingo to the other side of the bracket as well (great showing by MNF up-and-comer Garrett, placing in the Draw and top 8 in the bring...nice work!).

On the other side of the bracket, the SD/IA duo of Jason and Tim E didn't give a second thought to being on the 'lighter' side of the bracket. They just kept beating the teams we put in front of them...even when it meant meeting last month's champs (and perennial top monthly team), Team Stinerson. Nice job Jason and Tim.

You know who kept themselves in the tourney that whole time? Gummy and John...tough first round or no, they won 7 straight through the loser's (including the rematch against Ringo and Tom B). Then won the finals in 4 straight. Congrats to Dave and John on an impressive win!

MN Shuffle DYP Results:
The follow-up event was split up into two no-conflict brackets to keep the night's event's running smoothly. Yes the payouts were smaller/deeper, but I stand by the success of getting 66 matches played on 4 tables well before bar close.

Early Bracket: 14 players
1st: Ira K/Tom D
2nd: Skip S/Jared W
3rd: Mike E/Josie O
Steve M/Taylor K
Tom H/Tim Y
Goot/Matt H
Steve L/Nick E

Late Bracket: 14 players
1st: John W/Chris M
2nd: William W III/Tom B
3rd: Luke B/Garrett T
Clif H/Deb PK
Nate O/Mel G
Bombo/Zach S
Krinkie/Matt H

In the early bracket, Ira and Tom D earned the actual king seat by re-teaming up after the final shuffle (twice!), and made use of it....winning the 3rd game of the second set with Tom D's lights-out shooting from back (3 clean and 4 total!), Ira (now 2-time shuffle champ) had the pull kick for the win.

In the late bracket, Luke B and Garrett had a nice run as they re-drew each other for a few runs in the loser's bracket, but Tom B's 2-bar bested Garrett's in their goalie war-esque back and forth loser bracket final.
A reshuffle washed out Bill and John's king seat advantage, and newly shuffled team John and Chris (with some timely switches) pulled it out in the final.
Congrats to John, Chris, Tom and Ira!

Thanks as always to Morts and D&G for their support.
The Monthly has been a great tradition the last four years at Morts, and it couldn't exist without their help. Whether the Monthly can continue there after the re-model is still up in the air, but I'm thankful that Morts will still be one of the premier foos destinations in the Twin Cities when new tables are moved in after the re-model is complete.

We would love help finding new venues, whether for a new monthly host site, another tourney/league location, or just another place to play on quality tables (see past and future posts for more details).

Thanks to the generous players that donated to the ball fund: Potts, Bill, Dan, Josh, Ira, John, Chris, and Garrett.

Thanks to Jessie, Steve M, and Jared W for help running the brackets, and to anyone else that helped keep the event running smoothly (i heard a few table maintenance issues getting taken care of without anyone even grabbing me...has this group been raised right or what?).

Lastly, thanks to everyone for coming out and showing how great a MN foos tourney can be. Here's to many more in 2018.

Tentative Date for Feb Morts Monthly: 2/3?
The date and location are a bit up in the air right now. If people think the Super Bowl is sufficient reason to change it let me know. I might be out of town the following weekend.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Minnesota Foosball © 2000-02 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000